Dec 02, 2023
The Media & Strategic Communication Department offers a combined bachelor’s degree and master’s degree program that enables students to take graduate courses beginning in their junior year and to complete half of the coursework for the Iona MA in Public Relations by the end of their senior year.
The graduate courses taken during their junior and senior years will substitute for corresponding undergraduate requirements. The tuition for graduate courses taken as an undergraduate will be the same as for regular undergraduate courses.
BA in Media & Strategic Communication, Public Relations
Credit requirements for undergraduates remain at 120 credits, but 18 credits will be counted for both undergraduate and graduate courses.
- Must be enrolled in PR concentration for Media & Strategic Communication BA or have taken the four required courses for the PR concentration.
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA at end of sophomore year to enroll as junior.
- Must pass an interview and review process by the Graduate Coordinator for Public Relations Program.
Corequisites and Replacement Courses
Undergraduate students must take the following graduate courses:
- MSC 300 - Media Law and Ethics replaced by PR 605 - Media Law and Ethics
- MSC 496 - Seminar in communications replaced by PR 980 - Thesis/Project Preparation and PR 981 - Thesis/Project
- MSC 230 - Digital Literacy and Practice replaced by PR 629 - Converged Technologies for Public Relations
- MSC 397 - Research Methods in Mass Communication replaced by PR 604 - Applied Communications Research
Graduate Core Requirements
- PR 604 - Applied Communication Research
- PR 605 - Media Law and Ethics
- PR 609 - Writing for the Media
- PR 615 - Principles of Public Relations
- PR 616 - Public Relations Campaigns
- PR 617 - Media Relations
- PR 618 - Public Relations for Non-Profit Organizations
- PR 628 - Public Relations for Entertainment and Sports
- PR 629 - Converged Technologies for Public Relations
- PR 699 - Internship in Communication
- PR 980 - Thesis Project Preparation
- PR 981 - Thesis/Project
Culminating Experience or Internship Requirements
Students in the combined BA/MA program are required to take a professional internship as PR 699 and to complete the culminating experience as courses PR 980 and 981. They are not eligible for the alternative culminating experience of an exam and final paper.