Oct 21, 2020
A truly interdisciplinary degree, the BA in Arts Leadership combines the expertise in the departments of Fine and Performing Arts and Mass Communication, and the LaPenta School of Business. Students select a concentration in dance, music, theatre or visual arts, joining our active performance ensembles but at the same time learning how to apply communication and business skills to the production of the arts. An integral part of the program is the Internship senior year, followed by a capstone project that can serve as an entry to the working world. As the arts are inherently entrepreneurial, students will be involved with the opportunities and activities at the Hynes Institute for Entrepreneurship & Innovation.
All students at Iona College take courses in the College Core. Required courses in the core are geared toward the Arts Leadership major:
Fine and Performing Arts Department (21 credits)
Arts Leadership majors select a Performing Arts Concentration in dance, music, theatre or visual arts.
Total credits: 21
Required Performance Ensemble/Applied/Studio Study (6 credits)
Choose from or combine 6 credits based on selected concentration:
Required FPA (9 credits)
Choose from 9 credits in the chosen concentration:
Required Internship & Capstone Project (6 credits)
- FPA 403 - FPA Internship Credits: 3
One semester internship either in the Fine and Performing Arts Department (Promotion/management of FPA semester productions) or in an external organization. Students meet weekly with the internship professor to discuss assigned readings and experiences in the internship.
Sample locations for internships:
- Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts
- Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM)
- Westchester Arts Council
- Signature Theatre
- Manhattan Theatre Club
- The Atlantic Theatre Company
- Movement Research
- Baryshnikov Arts Center
- Hoff-Barthelson Music School
- FPA 404 - FPA Capstone Project Credits: 3
The following are samples:
- Proposal for community arts installation.
- Community outreach proposals (public schools, rehabilitation centers, pre-schools, etc.).
- Proposal for Arts Festival in a municipality or at Iona College.
- Proposal for management or coordinator of a theatre event or production in a municipality or at Iona College.
- Proposal for supervisor, marketing, producer or administrator position of a theatre event or production in a municipality or at Iona College.
- Proposal developed by the student and with the approval of the department.
LaPenta School of Business (9 credits)
Communication Studies (9 credits)
Mass Communication (6 credits)
Speech Communication Studies (3 credits)