Mission, Vision and Core Values Statement
Mission: The LaPenta School of Business provides students with a high-value business education through its accomplished and caring faculty, dedicated alumni, and advantageous location in the New York City metropolitan area with its abundance of learning and career opportunities. We pride ourselves on developing highly competent, global-minded, and entrepreneurial business leaders with a strong ethical and social commitment.
Vision: We deliver an enriching, personalized educational experience that helps each student unlock opportunities and make a difference.
Statement of Core Values:
- Serve our students and other stakeholders through outstanding teaching, research, and experiential learning activities.
- Expand access to business education by ensuring affordability, supporting student success, and adopting innovative delivery methods.
- Promote respect for others and their contributions in order to prepare students for success in a diverse and dynamic global business environment.
- Encourage intellectual curiosity and the pursuit of new ideas and creative solutions to business problems to serve the needs of our stakeholders and society in general.
- Build partnerships and collaborate with alumni, industry, and the community to improve business education and practice for the benefit of our students and the development of our communities.
- Embrace transparency, accountability, and compliance with professional standards to maintain a learning environment of mutual trust and support.
The LaPenta School of Business offers degree programs leading to the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree in seven majors: accounting, business administration, finance, information systems, international business, management and marketing. Each of these programs has a complementary minor program with the exception of business administration.
The BBA programs are offered as day programs.
A business minor is available to students in the School of Arts and Science.
All BBA candidates must complete the graduation requirements for undergraduate degrees. The course requirements for the degree include the College core requirements, the business degree core requirements, major requirements as listed for each major and a number of electives. The business core and specific details of the College core as they apply to business students are noted below.
The College core of 46 credits is required of all students as explained in this bulletin. Students graduating with this core, except where noted, will complete a total of 120 credits for their degree.
All candidates for the BBA should satisfy the College core with courses that constitute part of the common body of knowledge in business and are complementary to the business core. They are:
Social Science and Business Requirements
Science, Technology and Mathematics - STEM Requirements
Mathematics Core - one of the following (3 credits)
Computer Science Core (3 credits)
Business Degree Core
All students graduating from the LaPenta School of Business must complete the following business degree core requirements:
The requirements for each major are listed below.
Courses that fulfill the requirement include those in accounting, business, business law, business economics, finance, information systems, international business, management and marketing. The balance of electives can be taken in business or in the liberal arts and sciences.
Double Majors and Minors
Some students elect to major in a second discipline; others seek to minor in a second discipline. The BBA program is highly structured and business students have a limited number of electives to pursue such options. In making their decision, students must be aware of College policy as indicated elsewhere in this bulletin and the fact that a number of credits beyond those necessary for graduation may be required.